Mowing the lawn uphill can be exhausting, and the more grass you have to cut, the more strenuous it can be. Using a riding mower for hills instead can make getting an even cut on your yard almost effortless. Plus, riding mowers designed with uneven terrain in mind can more easily provide you with an even cut.
Which riding mower is best on hills?
Read on to learn everything you need to know about how to select the best riding lawn mower for hills.
- BEST OVERALL: CRAFTSMAN T310 Turn Tight 24-HP V-twin Riding Mower.
- BEST BANG FOR THE BUCK: Troy-Bilt TB 30 in. …
- BEST ELECTRIC: Ryobi 38 in. …
- BEST ZERO-TURN: Toro 42 in 22.5 HP Hydrostatic Zero-Turn Riding Mower.
How steep of a hill can a riding mower go?
Mowing steep slopes can also be dangerous when people are not careful since mowers can topple over. AS Motor explains that standard walk-behind mowers are usually good up to a 20-degree incline, and riding mowers will work safely up to 15 degrees.
Can you use a riding lawn mower on a hill?
While using a push mower, it is easier and safer to mow from side to side along a hillside. The opposite is true with a riding mower, whether you drive a zero-turn or riding lawn tractor. … If the hill is too steep, then avoid mowing up the hill and only mow down the hill.
How do you mow a steep hill with a riding lawn mower?
For ride on mowers, go up and down (NOT side to side). This gives maximum traction to the drive wheels and lessens the risk of rolling. It also avoids the ‘crabbing’ that tends to happen when mowing crossways on any slope, where the heavy end of the machine keeps trying to slide downhill making slope mowing difficult.
Who makes best riding lawn mower?
The 7 best ride-on lawn mowers
- Cub Cadet XT1 Enduro LT 42 in. …
- John Deere E120. …
- RYOBI 38 in. …
- Troy-Bilt Pony 42X Riding Lawn Mower with 42-Inch Deck and 547cc Engine Tractor. …
- Husqvarna Z254 54 in. …
- Cub Cadet Ultima ZT1 50 in. …
- Toro Titan 75303 60in.
What is the best riding lawn mower for uneven ground?
7 Best Riding Lawn Mower Reviews & Tips
- Cub Cadet Pro HW 336 – Best All Terrain Lawn Mower. …
- Troy-Bilt Mustang Fit Riding Lawn Mower. …
- Craftsman T225 Gas Powered Riding Lawn Mower – The Best Mower for Uneven Terrain Among Gas-Powered Tools.
How do you mow a ditch with a riding lawn mower?
How To Mow Steep Ditches?
- Step 1: Examine the slope. …
- Step 2: Mow is an up and down model with the riding mower. …
- Step 3: Drive gradually up and down the slope at a low speed—more than coasting down the slope.
- Step 4: If the slope is too steep for a riding mower, use a push mower.
- Step 5: Push the mower from the side along the slope.
Are zero turns good for hills?
Yes, you can use your Zero Turn Mower on the hill, though with more care. Luckily, you can control your Zero Turn Mower on a hill slope with ease. You can control the speed and it is made to avoid injury.
Can riding mowers tip over?
A slope increases the risk of the lawn tractor, or riding mower, tipping — either to one side or end-over-end. The tipping of a lawn tractor can seriously injure or kill the person riding on the machine.
Are hydrostatic mowers good for hills?
This mower also features a hydrostatic transmission for smooth and effortless operation and has the power to do a pretty decent job of mowing hills of up to 30 degrees incline.
How do you mow an uneven lawn?
These are the basic steps:
- Mow the lawn at the lowest setting possible;
- De-thatch the lawn with a garden rake or de-thatcher;
- In a wheelbarrow, mix up a batch of leveling mix. …
- Apply scoops of soil mix to low areas of the lawn using a shovel;
- Rake the topdressing to spread it out evenly.
How steep is a 30 degree slope?
30 degrees is equivalent to a 58% grade which is another way to describe the magnitude of a slope.